For the anniversary of the birth of “Charles”, this May 18, his friend Thierry Guillo puts online 19 new songs including “Vas-y Tonton la France demanded you” composed for the re-election of François Mitterrand in 1988.
In 1985, the young Thierry Guillo, a great admirer of Charles Trenet – he knows his work like the back of his hand – has the nerve to write to him… and the “singing madman” receives him one fine day at 11 a.m. in his house in Antibes with the famous portal flanked by two lions! Charles Trenet will offer Thierry to work for him from 1988 to 1992 as an assistant in charge of sorting the mountain of mail from his fans and as a compiler. “It was about preparing rehearsal tapes that Charles listened to in his car during his tours from one city to another” says Thierry Guillo. At that time, there were no teleprompters or earpieces…
From there will be born a friendship and even a complicity. Thierry remembers: “On May 18, 1988, Charles invited me to celebrate his 75th birthday in Cannes. At the end of the meal, he offered me an audio cassette on which was simply written: Tonton”. It contained neither more nor less a piano recording of the song composed and sung to heat the room during meetings of the presidential campaign of Francois Mitterrand. The gift is priceless because there are no copies or recordings of this song.
Then, strongly inspired by his revered master, Thierry Guillo left for a career in the USA and Canada before returning to France to work with the greatest (Henri Salvador, Annie Cordy, etc.) while preserving in his possession unpublished works by Charles Trénet … which he proposes to offer today in homage to the Grand Master on his birthday.
To find out more, see you this May 18: all you have to do is connect to Youtube and type: “Charles Trenet 90 years of career 18 unpublished songs”.
To get into the mood, you must of course visit Charles Trenet’s birthplace in Narbonne, furnished as if the artist was going to return any moment, humming a new song.
Note that the car shown in the photo is currently for sale on an ad site. Notice to amateurs!
Go ahead Tonton, France is asking for you,
Go Tonton, cities and cantons
they all have such great affection for you
that right now everyone is singing in unison “Vas-y Tonton”
Go ahead Tonton, forget the propaganda
of those who want to give you lessons
Go ahead Tonton France is asking for you
Go on, Uncle, Go on, hold on, Go on, go on, go on, Uncle
Read also :
20 years since the death of Charles Trenet: the house with green shutters in Narbonne, where it all began
The 18 unreleased tracks
1. Send the playback (studio unreleased) 1994
2. At the film club (Thierry)
3. The margarine said (advertisement) 1940
4. i’m mad with anger (advertisement) 1951
5.The Real Parents, The Real Family (rare CBS title) 1982
6. The Friend of Tomorrows (Rare Emi Title) 1989
7. Lucky Songs (Japanese studio version) 1969
8. A Parisian in New York (orchestral) 1951
9. Dad pricks and mom sews (Tokyo concert) 1959
10. The Beach Piano (Tokyo concert) 1959
11. Five years of navy (concert in Quebec) 1983
12. Je chante (concert in Quebec) 1984
13. The King’s Polka (concert in Quebec) 1984
14. There Were Trees (Japanese studio version) 1969
15. Buenas noches Buenas Aires (in Spanish) 1950
16. Go uncle (unreleased) 1988
17. My discotheque is in my heart (Thierry)
18. Nothing to Wax (Radio Version) 1994
19. The March of the Good Children (unreleased CBS title)
We wish to say thanks to the writer of this write-up for this awesome material
Narbonne: unpublished works by Charles Trenet for his birthday
You can find our social media profiles here , as well as other pages related to them here.https://kjovi.com/related-pages/